Many of us have been told that some things we do or don’t do will cause wrinkles. We have carried those beliefs and maybe even passed them along to others. I have found out about some of those myths and I’m here to set the record straight. Keep reading and at the end, let me know which ones you knew about or were surprised by.Image of woman looking frightened

Myth One: You don’t need sunscreen if it’s cloudy or you stay in the shade.

If it is daylight outside, you need sunscreen. The two types of UV light (UVA & UVB) are constantly bombarding you. Even though car windows and the windows in your house are made to absorb the UVB light, the UVA light is what causes the actual aging of the skin cells. SPF 15 or greater is what you need to be reaching for as the final step in your morning skincare routine.Expensive product image

Myth Two: More expensive brands work better than cheaper brands.

Most of the time the more expensive brands cost more because of the packaging or the perfume that is added. What really matters are the ingredients. You should look for products with skin-loving ingredients like glycolic acid, vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, retinol, and collagen.

Myth Three: What you eat doesn’t cause wrinkles.

Excess salt, sugar, alcohol, and red meat (along with many others) will speed up the aging process. You should have more greens, fruits, vegetables, and nuts in your diet. Use olive or coconut oil instead of vegetable oils.

Myth Four: Good products will provide immediate results.

Anti-aging products, even with the right ingredients, are going to take some time to start working. Unfortunately, the “miracle” product has not been discovered yet. If a product promises immediate results, you are being had!image of face in pain

Myth Five: If it burns or stings, that means it’s working.

No, No, No! If it burns or stings, stop using it immediately. You may be having a reaction or possibly causing some irritation to your skin. There are some that may tingle and that is fine, but anything stronger, stop.

Myth Six: Retinol has to be used every day for it to work.

(Mom this one is especially for you) While it is beneficial to be used every day, some skin types just can’t tolerate it at first. Until your skin cells get used to the retinol molecule, you may experience some redness. If this happens, start using it every other day or so until you can tolerate everyday use.

Myth Seven: Your nighttime routine is more important than the morning routine.

Both routines are of equal value. In the morning you need to be sure to protect (sunscreen) and at night you need to rebuild (speed up cellular turnover and boost collagen production).image of hand with age spots

Myth Eight: Age spots are just something you have to deal with.

Wrong! There are so many products out there that will lighten skin. Products with vitamin C, hydroquinone, and niacinamide are some of those.

Myth Nine: You should only use products for your age group.

You should use products according to your skin type. Even though products are labeled for maybe “mature” skin, a woman in her 40s could use the same thing or vice versa.

Myth Ten: Your genetics determine how you age.

This one is really a personal favorite of mine and very untrue. Only 10 percent of the way your skin ages comes from your mom and dad, so you can’t blame them. What causes the other 90 percent are factors such as diet, environment, stress, habits, and products you choose to use.

Do you know any anti-aging myths? If so, leave them in the comments below.

If you found this interesting, you may like 10 Weird Ways to Look Younger.

4 thoughts on “10 Anti Aging Myths You Should Know Right Now

  1. Wow!  Very informative article.  I didn’t know that vitamin c can assist with lighting your skin.  After many reviews and study it does seem like the bottom line is genetic and diet.  Understanding personal genetic history in combination of a supportive diet will assist with reducing anti aging.  I clearly understands how sunscreen works now from your article.  Thank you for your knowledge.

    1. I am glad you enjoyed it. Lemon juice also helps in removing dark spots, I forgot to add it as a home remedy type solution.

  2. As a kid I rarely used sunscreen. And even as a grownup, if it was cloudy, I would “save it” for when it was sunny, LOL. I now realize my mistake. And your point concerning genetics has been very important. It takes away the load from our ancestors and places the responsibility of eating healthy, sleeping well and exercising upon us.

    1. I was the same way even into my 30s, especially when I was trying to tan. I have recently became more health conscious, well, since I have been doing all this research, anyway. Thank you for your comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *