CBD has become increasingly popular for its benefits in anti-aging and anti-aging skincare because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
But before you go out and buy all the CBD products you can find, we are going to explore all the health and skin benefits of CBD and how to find who to trust when purchasing your CBD.
What is CBD?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a naturally occurring compound derived from the cannabis sativa plant that has gained attention for its therapeutic effects without causing a “high”.
It is one of over 100 cannabinoids, with the most well-known being tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Unlike THC, CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it does not produce the “high” associated with cannabis use.
CBD has gained significant attention in recent years because of its potential therapeutic properties. Research suggests that it may have various health benefits, including the potential to ease symptoms of anxiety, depression, inflammation, pain, and epilepsy. They have also studied it for its possible neuroprotective and anti-cancer effects.
CBD can be extracted from both marijuana and hemp plants, but most CBD products on the market come from hemp. This is because hemp contains higher levels of CBD and lower levels of THC compared to marijuana. In many countries, including the United States, CBD products derived from hemp are legal as long as they contain less than 0.3% THC.
CBD is available in various forms, such as oils, tinctures, capsules, edibles, and topical creams. The dosage and method of administration can vary depending on the individual and the condition being treated.
It’s important to note that while CBD may have potential health benefits, more research is needed to fully understand its effects and safety profile.
As always, it’s a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before using CBD to treat any medical condition.
What anti-aging health benefits does CBD offer?
- Anti-inflammatory – CBD has been shown to reduce inflammation throughout the body. Chronic inflammation contributes to many age-related diseases and aging itself. By reducing inflammation, CBD may help slow down the aging process.
- Antioxidant – CBD possesses potent antioxidant properties that help remove damaging free radicals from the body. Free radicals speed up aging, so CBD may help counteract their effects.
- Neuroprotective – CBD may protect the brain from age-related cognitive decline by reducing inflammation, oxidative stress, and blocking the formation of beta-amyloid plaques associated with Alzheimer’s disease. This might preserve cognitive abilities as we age.
- Heart health – CBD helps lower elevated blood pressure and atherosclerosis, which are risk factors for heart disease, stroke, and cardiovascular death – some of the main causes of mortality in older adults. This could promote healthy longevity.
- Bone health – CBD strengthens bones by stimulating receptors that trigger bone formation and inhibit bone loss. This is beneficial in preventing osteoporosis and age-related bone diseases.
- Skin health – CBD contains vitamins A, C, & E which stimulate collagen production and fight free radicals that cause wrinkles, age spots, and sagging skin. CBD may rejuvenate aged skin.
CBD shows promise in targeting multiple physiological systems involved in aging to potentially promote healthy longevity as we get older. We still need more research to confirm CBD’s anti-aging benefits.
What anti-aging skin benefits does CBD offer?
CBD may offer several potential anti-aging skin benefits because of its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and skin-regulating properties. While more research is needed to fully understand its effects on skin aging, here are some ways CBD may contribute to healthier and more youthful-looking skin:
1. Antioxidant properties: CBD’s antioxidant properties can help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules generated by environmental factors like UV radiation, pollution, and cigarette smoke. Free radicals can break down collagen and elastin, leading to wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. By neutralizing free radicals, CBD may help maintain skin elasticity and firmness, reducing the visible signs of aging.
2. Anti-inflammatory properties: Inflammation can contribute to skin aging by breaking down collagen and elastin, leading to sagging skin and wrinkles. CBD has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, which may help reduce redness, swelling, and irritation associated with various skin conditions. By calming inflammation, CBD may promote healthier and more youthful-looking skin.
3. Skin hydration: Dry skin can exacerbate the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Some CBD-infused skincare products contain additional moisturizing ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid or essential oils, which can help maintain skin hydration and improve its overall appearance.
4. Sebum regulation: Sebum is the natural oil produced by the sebaceous glands in the skin. Overproduction of sebum can lead to clogged pores and acne breakouts, while too little sebum can cause dryness and flakiness. CBD has been shown to regulate sebum production, potentially helping to maintain balanced and healthy skin.
5. Skin barrier function: A healthy skin barrier is essential for protecting the skin from environmental stressors and maintaining proper hydration. Some studies suggest CBD may help improve skin barrier function by modulating the production of key proteins involved in maintaining the skin’s structural integrity.
It’s important to note that while CBD may offer some potential benefits for anti-aging skincare, it should be used with a comprehensive skincare routine that includes sun protection, regular cleansing, and moisturizing.
What skin conditions can CBD treat?
1. Acne – CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce breakouts and redness associated with acne. It may also regulate oil production in the skin.
2. Psoriasis – By reducing skin cell buildup and inflammation, CBD may ease plaques and flaking caused by psoriasis. Early research is promising.
3. Eczema – CBD’s ability to lower inflammation and itchiness could provide relief for eczema flare-ups when applied topically.
4. Dry, aging skin – The antioxidant effects of CBD may help combat free radicals that contribute to skin aging. CBD also improves moisture retention in dry skin.
5. Burns – Early lab studies suggest CBD’s anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties could help heal burns and reduce scarring. More research is needed.
6. Skin allergies – By reducing inflammation, CBD may calm allergic skin reactions and soothe irritation from conditions like contact dermatitis.
7. Itchy skin – CBD interacts with serotonin receptors to potentially reduce itching related to dry skin, rashes, and other trigger.
However, most evidence for CBD’s benefits on skin conditions is preliminary. Patients should discuss using CBD products for skin health with a dermatologist first. Proper dosing and application is key. Further human studies are underway to confirm CBD’s therapeutic effects on skin disorders.
How to choose your CBD products
Not all CBD products are created equally or can be trusted. So, how do you know which ones to trust?
Here are some things to keep in mind when shopping for CBD products:
1. Source – Hemp source matters. CBD extracted from organically grown, non-GMO hemp free of pesticides and other chemicals is ideal. Domestic sources like Colorado or Kentucky are reputable.
2. Extraction Method – CO2 extraction is the gold standard. It safely pulls out pure CBD oil without using heat or solvents. Watch out for CBD extracted using butane, propane, or ethanol – they can be impure.
3. Third Party Testing – Any reputable company will rigorously test their products in labs for potency, purity, and safety. Make sure these updated lab reports are available.
4. Certificate of Analysis – For any quality CBD, a certificate of analysis (COA) from a lab should confirm the CBD and THC levels match the product labeling.
5. Additives – Unnecessary fillers, flavors, sweeteners, and preservatives are red flags. Opt for pure, natural ingredients only.
6. Claims – Be skeptical of any CBD products that make unrealistic health claims or say they cure diseases. The FDA does not approve CBD products.
7. Reviews – Check third party consumer reviews on sites like TrustPilot for unbiased opinions on a CBD brand or seller.
While the CBD market is unregulated, following these guidelines will help identify high quality products from ethical companies.
My reccommendation-Onyx & Rose
What’s Onyx & Rose, you ask? They are your trusted go to for all of your CBD needs!
They offer skincare, wellness, their Feelin’ Good line, and even CBD for your pets.
They only use organically grown, domestic hemp, and ethical lab practices along with having their products tested by a third party.
Their skincare line contains full spectrum CBD, which means it contains multiple cannibis plant extracts.
Their wellness products range from proprietary mushroom blend capsules, to CBD gummies, to CBD oil.
Their Feelin’ Good line contains Delta 9 THC and HHC, which are both known for their psychoactive properties.
Just click below to check out what all they have to offer!Use code ONYX10 for 10% off your first order!