If you have read any of my previous posts, then you should know by now the importance of collagen and elastin in your skin. If you don’t know, then I guess you’re SOL!
Just kidding! The simplest way to put it is collagen and elastin are what keep your skin plump with the” bounce back” after you push down on it.
Around age 25 the production of collagen and elastin slows down and other factors, such as the sun’s UV rays, smoking, pollution, etc., cause the breakdown of both.
With all this going on, your skin is eventually going to start sagging unless you take very good care of it! But let’s be honest here, who is thinking of sagging skin in their 20s and 30s?
Whether you were or not, you are now and that’s why you are reading this.
There are ways to get the bounce back in your skin without having to go out and get a facelift. So, just keep reading to find out which way best resonates with you.
Home Remedies (Natural Ways)
Many of the ingredients in this list you will probably have in your kitchen already. So, as soon as you get through reading, you can go try some of these!
1. Cucumber & Rosemary Oil- Cucumber firms by helping to retain elastin and hyaluronic acid and rosemary oil are known to improve blood circulation.
How to use- Take 1/2 of a cucumber and one tablespoon of rosemary oilGrind the cucumber to a smooth liquid and then add the oil. Apply and leave on for 15-20 minutes then rinse. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
2. Aloe Vera- The gel improves skin’s elasticity and stimulates the production of collagen and hyaluronic acid.
How to use- Cut off the flat end of the leaf first. Slit open vertically to reveal the gel. Scoop out the gel and apply. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash and pat dry. Repeat as often as needed.
3. Bananas- Abundant in potassium, natural oils, and vitamins, they prevent sagging and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
How to use- Take a quarter of a ripe banana and mash it into a smooth paste. Apply to a clean face and leave on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with warm water immediately followed by cold water. Pat dry.
4. Eggs- Egg whites, to be more specific, contain albumin and protein and will shrink your pores and tighten your skin.
How to use- Separate the egg whites from the yolk. Use a cosmetic brush to apply to your face. Allow to dry and peel off. You can also add 1-2 tbsp of raw honey or plain unsweetened yogurt and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
5. Honey- Moisturizes, is rich in antioxidants, and stimulates collagen production which will improve skin’s elasticity.
How to use- Take the desired amount of honey and add just a little water to make the consistency easier to apply to your face. Leave on for 15-20 minutes then rinse and pat dry.
6. Plain Greek Yogurt- Contains probiotics and lactic acid, along with other ingredients that greatly benefit your skin to exfoliate, restoring your skin’s microbiome, retaining moisture, and increasing elasticity.
How to use- Greek yogurt has the best consistency for applying to your skin. So, you just apply it, leave it on for 15-20 minutes, rinse, then pat dry.
Find out more about the benefits of probiotics for your skin here.
Devices for skin tightening
Advancements in technology really have come a long way! Where you used to have to go to a doctor’s office to have skin tightening done, you can now buy your own device and do it at home.
The first two devices come from LED Esthetics. Use code Siobhan10 to get 10% off your entire order.
1. Mask & Glo 7.0–This mask uses 7 different colored LED lights to tighten your skin and give you a more youthful appearance.
Red is for stimulating collagen and elastin which are responsible for the firming and “plumpness” of your skin.
Blue is for killing bacteria, combatting acne, and reducing redness and scars.
Yellow works on any discoloration you may have such as sun damage.
Purple is for cell rejuvenation to reduce scarring, inflammation, and sagging.
Green will reduce melanin and promote lymph drainage.
White penetrates the deepest and increases regeneration by speeding up the skin’s metabolism.
Blue/Green enhances the complexion by reducing swollen capillaries and balancing the texture of the skin.
This device comes with a full face mask and a piece for your neck. You use it for only 15 minutes a day for a younger-looking face and neck!
If people like Madonna, Kate Hudson, & Kim & Kourtney Kardashian use it, considering how youthful their skin is, it has to actually work!
2. Mask & Glo Pro – With this, you can get just the mask or bundle it with neck and decollete pieces. This mask also uses LED lights to effectively reduce scarring, inflammation, fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, acne, redness, hyperpigmentation, and enlarged pores.
Just in time for the holidays, these are both on sale for up to 40% off. I just took advantage of the sale on the Mask &Glo 7.0. The original price is usually $249, but it is on sale for $149, however, I could get it even cheaper by subscribing to get texts. That brought the price down to $134!
So, be on the lookout for my review, I have a feeling it’s gonna be a great one!
It’s possible to get even faster results if you use the mask with the Hydrogel Masks. These masks are infused with hyaluronic acid and seaweed collagen to enhance the LED treatments.
The Hydrogel Masks are transparent so the LED can penetrate and increase the absorption of the masks’ ingredients. Of course, I ordered some of these, too!
3. Even Skyn Lumo- This handset also uses red and blue LED lights for photo rejuvenation and increasing the production of collagen. However, it also includes radiofrequency and electrical muscle stimulation.
Radiofrequency (RF) penetrates the skin deep enough to warm the dermis layer, which promotes the production of collagen. If your skin has more collagen, those fine lines and wrinkles are gonna disappear!
The Electrical Muscle Stimulation mode is what’s gonna firm up your skin by “stimulating” your face and neck muscles.
Be on the lookout for my review of this handset because I have one on the way to me as well!
Use code Siobhan30 for a $30 discount on your purchase!
4. MLAY – This is also a safe and effective radiofrequency device for home use. For the face and body, it is an anti-aging and skin-tightening solution for not only fine lines and wrinkles but also for tightening up the skin on your arms, legs, and abdomen.
Customers who have bought and used the device reported visible results in 2-4 weeks. This one is also a little cheaper than the Even Skyn Lumo.
5. LEFAY 5-in-1 RF Machine- This device, like Even Skyn’s Lumo, has 5 different modes which include a cleaning mode, one to help products penetrate the skin better, the skin tightening and lifting mode, a special mode for eye care, and a cooling mode for soothing the skin and shrinking pores.
This handset costs less than both the Lumo RF handset and MLAY RF Machine.
6. NuDerma Clinical Skin Therapy Wand- This device is quite unique from the others in this list. The machine comes with 6 Fusion Neon & Argon wands that will attach and each benefit in different ways. The Neon, which is anti-aging, & Argon, which is blemish and inflammation-fighting, wands are as follows:
Mushroom wand- For use with serums and creams to increase absorption to treat cheeks, forehead, and jawline.
Y-Shaped Wand- For use on the neck, arms, legs, or other” in between” areas.
Comb Wand- To energize hair follicles, promote circulation, diminish hair loss, and reduce dryness and dandruff.
Tongue Wand- For spot-treating acne and pimples so they will clear up and disappear much quicker.
Rod Wand- Supercharged with Tungsten, this one is for use on broader areas of the body.
Spot Wand- For skin imperfections in smaller areas and crevices.
What else can you do at home to tighten your skin?
At-home chemical peel
How does a chemical peel help to tighten your skin? They work by removing the older top layer(s) of skin which is then replaced by fresh, new, smoother, and tighter skin.
Chemical peels also stimulate the production of collagen. Remember, that’s what gives your skin its bounce, making those fine lines and wrinkles disappear.
Unsure of which peel to use? The folks at MedPeel have a quiz you can take to figure out which customized solution would be right for you!
Daily Facial Massage
Performing a daily facial massage and pairing it with a great facial oil can have many benefits. The first and most obvious reason is that it increases circulation. With more blood flow to facial skin, it becomes more oxygenated and delivers vital nutrients to your skin.
Massage will also relieve tension and help firm up your facial muscles. Using a facial massaging device will get you the results quickly but you can also use your fingers.
You will want to be sure to include some lymphatic drainage as well. Performing this kind of massage will drain toxins from your skin and reduce puffiness, acne, and oily skin.
This process uses tiny needles to poke holes in the skin which increases collagen production. Your products are also absorbed into the skin better.
If you were to have this done professionally, it could cost anywhere from $150-$300 per session. Luckily, there is a micro-needling pen you can use in the comfort of your home that costs a lot less. Like the Lifewit Electric Dermapen that is perfect for home use.
This dermapen has adjustable speed and length for comfortable use. The 6 speeds go from weak to strong depending on your comfort level.
What really makes this derma pen unique from others is the fact it comes equipped with 4 LED lights! LED lights have amazing benefits all on their own. Find out about LED here.
Lifestyle changes you can make to firm your skin
If you have read any of my other posts, then this may seem kind of redundant but it’s still just as important when it comes to your skin. If you start changing up the following, then you are going to see the difference in your skin!
1. Have a good skincare routine in place- No matter what age you are, a good skincare routine can make a lot of difference in the way your skin looks and feels.
2. Eat Healthily- The best diet for anti-aging is the Mediterranean Diet.
3. Exercise Regularly- Engage in muscle-building exercises.
4. Stop Smoking- Smoking depletes collagen among other issues.
5. Take supplements that support skin health- Collagen peptides, hyaluronic acid, and even spermidine will boost your skin health.
6. Exfoliate Regularly- Exfoliating 2-3 times a week will help keep dead skin cells from building up and making you look older. Also, it helps aid with skin cell turnover, revealing fresh new skin approximately every 30 days.
7. Limit Sun Exposure- Always wear SPF 30 or above, even on cloudy days.
To sum it all up
Even if you only implement a few of these suggestions, you can make a big impact on the firmness and tightness of your skin. Do all of them and you just imagine!
The bottom line is that it’s the only skin you will ever have, so, you better take care of it!
I would love to hear your thoughts below!
4 thoughts on “How Can I Tighten My Facial Skin Without Surgery?”
Our facial skin is the first thing we see in the mirror and what others see first in public, which is why it is important to take care of it. Wrinkles are not a fun change that we like to see, and knowing how to tighten skin without surgery is important, as I cannot afford surgery or Botox. I appreciate your information, which I have shared it on social media.
When you take a more natural approach to your skin, it tends to look more natural. I have seen lots of botched surgeries and the ones that weren’t still didn’t look very natural either. In my opinion, surgery should be a last-resort option for a medical emergency, not something you choose.
I am glad you found my article useful and thanks for sharing, Jannette!
Great article on skin care and anti-aging. I am especially interested in the mask and glow solution. I have heard that this type of light therapy has been used to treat allergies but was not aware of their use in skin care. Are there any options for trying this unit before purchasing? Also, you list a bunch of different face treatments. Is one more effective than the others? Would you rotate these types of face creams to get the different benefits? Thanks. Dave
The Mask & Glo does have a 30- day return policy if you decided it wasn’t for you. You can absolutely rotate all of the options, if you wanted, to receive the different benefits!