When you were younger and you would raise your eyebrows, that crinkling in your forehead would smooth right out when you relaxed those muscles. Now you are noticing the lines are gradually becoming more permanent. Frankly, this isn’t sitting too well with you, but what can you do?
That’s why you are here and together we are going to find you a solution! Just keep reading and you find out the causes, ways to prevent the wrinkles, and which way will be best to get rid of them. (Yes, there is over one way!)
If you have read any of my other posts, then you will see the same culprits are responsible. From your forehead lines to the lines in between your eyebrows, they call the elevens, this list will tell you what’s responsible.
1. Movement- Repetitive scrunching of the muscle (frontalis) or exaggerated facial expression can cause these lines.
2. Sun Exposure- No matter what age you are, wear sunscreen. Sun damage will show up, eventually!
3. Loss of Collagen & Elastin- The production of these proteins actually starts slowing down around age 25. These proteins are important for your skin because they are what give your skin its elasticity and bounce.
4. Smoking- Further destroys collagen, and constricts blood vessels, therefore, reducing oxygen and nutrients reaching your skin cells, decreasing your body’s ability to produce new skin cells, and also causing your existing cells to age faster.
5. Stress- Your body releases a hormone called cortisol when you’re stressed out. Cortisol destroys collagen and elastin, making your skin sag and less elastic.
6. Over-Consumption of Alcohol- If you drink in moderation, alcohol can be beneficial for your skin. Drinking too much, though, will constrict your blood vessels and dehydrate your skin.
7. Not Getting Enough Sleep- Your skin does its repairing and regeneration at night while you are sleeping, so lack of sleep will have your skin looking dull and tired. Facial muscles become weak with a lack of sleep. Also, cortisol, the hormone that destroys collagen and elastin, gets released when you are sleep-deprived.
8. Diet- A diet high in salt, sugar, and processed foods will definitely cause wrinkles to form. Too much sugar will damage the collagen and elastin in your body. Salt draws the water out of your skin and will lead to dehydration. Processed foods lead to inflammation, which then leads to lines and wrinkles.
Prevent Forehead & “Eleven” Lines
There is no certain age for these lines and wrinkles to form, but prevention is the best way to avoid them. If you already have a few showing up, don’t worry, I have that covered down the post!
It may seem redundant, but to be thorough, I will make a list, anyway.
1. Wear Sunscreen- SPF of 30 or above is best. Reapply if spending a long time in the sun.
2. Quit Smoking- Not only will this help your skin, but it will also benefit your health in many other ways.
3. Reduce Stress- Meditating is the best advice I can give as a solution. There’s nothing really serious going on here. Calm down and just be in the present moment.
4. Get Enough Sleep- This is another one that will not only benefit your skin but your whole body as well. 7 to 8 hours a night is what you need.
5. Don’t Over-drink- A glass or two of wine every day will hurt nothing, but if you’re getting drunk all the time, you may want cool it.
6. Diet- The best anti-aging diet I have found is the Mediterranean Diet. This diet is mainly plant-based, using herbs and spices to flavor food instead of salt and sugar.
Before I get into how to get rid of them, you should be realistic about what to expect. If the lines have gotten really deep, then you can improve the appearance, but they won’t completely go away. If they are just showing up, then your chances of making them disappear are better.
You will still need to follow all the steps above because if they will help prevent them, then they’re gonna help erase them!
1. Oils- Using certain kinds of oils, such as virgin coconut, almond, castor, and jojoba oils, will moisturize, reinforce your skin barrier, and smooth out the lines. These oils also contain antioxidants to fight free radicals that can wreak havoc on your skin.
Consuming a tablespoon of flaxseed oil 2 to 4 times a day for 2 weeks will also enhance your skin barrier, therefore improving wrinkles. Flaxseed oil is abundant in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
2. Massage/Face Yoga- Both have the same benefits for your face as they do for the rest of your body. By kneading your skin with your hands and fingertips, you will increase circulation which will bring more oxygen and blood cells to your skin along with better absorption of your products.
3. Hydrate- Drink plenty of water without added sugars. If your body gets dehydrated, then your skin is going to suffer as well and it will show. Try to minimize or avoid any drinks with added sugars; remember, sugar is not a friend to your skin.
4. Exfoliate- Use an Alpha-hydroxy acid such as glycolic, lactic, or mandelic acid twice weekly. If you have acne-prone skin, then salicylic acid is a better choice for you.
Exfoliating helps remove dead skin cells and increases cellular turnover, which will soften and help prevent those frown lines.
5. Keep your skin moisturized- Moisturizing 3 times a day would be optimal, but twice a day, morning & night, will be sufficient.
Moisturizers work to improve wrinkles by making them less deep. As your skin absorbs the moisturizer, it will plump up your skin.
6. Homemade masks- Apply egg whites and allow to dry then wash off. With this next mask, you can use a mixture of yogurt, honey, and the liquid from a vitamin E capsule. Apply the mixture and leave on for 10-15 minutes, then wash off.
Mash up some avocado and apply, leave on for 20 minutes, then wash off.
Devices to get rid of forehead & eleven lines
1. LED Esthetics- Their Mask & Glo will not only work on your forehead and eleven lines, but it will work on any issues you may have with your skin. You have the option of 7 different LED colors and each color has its own benefit.
Red is for anti-aging. It stimulates collagen and elastin to diminish wrinkles and sagging skin.
Blue is for anti-acne. It kills bacteria and shrinks sebaceous glands. Also, it will fade redness and scarring.
Light Blue is for skin soothing which will reduce swollen capillaries and balance skin texture.
Yellow works on discoloration by promoting circulation to fade sun damage and age spots.
Green is the skin balancer, which reduces melanin and promotes drainage for balancing oily skin.
Purple will rejuvenate cells to fight acne and signs of aging. Also, reduces inflammation, scars, and sagging.
White is for ultimate repair and penetrates deepest. Skin metabolism is sped up to increase regeneration.
If you are looking for something a little smaller, then the Glo Wand will be perfect. The head of the wand will rotate 90 degrees and you can use it all over your face, neck, and especially your forehead. Click on the link above and look at the before and after pics.
When shopping at LED Esthetics, use code Siobhan10 to get 10% off your entire order!
As an affiliate of Amazon, I may earn a small commission through qualifying links at no extra charge to you.
2. LEFAY Radio Frequency Machine– This machine combines collagen and elastin-building radio frequency with red/blue light therapy to diminish lines and wrinkles. Along with radio frequency, this handheld device also has a cleaning mode, penetration mode, special mode for eyes, and cooling mode.
They include Massage with each of these modes to improve circulation.
3. NuDerma Clinical Skin Therapy Wand–This wand includes 6 FUSION Neon & Argon applicators. These glass applicators combine Neon for anti-aging and Argon for acne and oily skin. If you went to a professional, they would do these one at a time. With Neon & Argon being combined, it cuts down on time.
Can serums and creams help?
Once again, depending on how deep your wrinkles are, your results may vary with different products. Even if you have deep wrinkles though, don’t abandon all hope. You can make them fade.
Below is a list of what you should use to tackle even the deepest wrinkles.
1. Retinol- Retinol is the milder form of vitamin A that stimulates collagen production and speeds skin cell turnover. You can buy retinol without a prescription and comes in different strengths.
If it’s your first time using retinol, start with a lower strength, 0.5%, to make sure your skin can tolerate it. There is 0.25%, but for anti-aging, 0.5% is recommended to start with. You need to start slow as well, applying only a couple of nights a week at first, then gradually increasing frequency.
Because retinol is sensitive to the sun, you only use it at night. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen during the daytime.
The product I have found to be the most impressive is RoC Derm Correxion Fill & Treat Serum. This serum instantly plumps your skin using 3 different hyaluronic acids. Retinol is working to provide you with lasting improvements. Even though the RoC products don’t cost a fortune, they are top-of-the-line.
2. Tretinoin- This is the prescription form of vitamin A. Once your skin has gotten used to retinol and if you feel you could use something stronger, you can visit your dermatologist for a prescription.
There are also ways online now to get tretinoin, which includes navamd.com, musely.com, & app.withagency.com. Agency is the anti-aging side of Curology.
3. Glycolic Acid- Glycolic acid works by dissolving and removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin, therefore flattening the surface of your skin. This also helps speed skin cell turnover, which will improve the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
They also use this acid in peels, which can dramatically reduce fine lines and wrinkles. The good news is you no longer have to go to an office for this! You can do your own peel in the comfort of your own home!
Med Peel will help you choose the right peel and give you instructions on what to do before, during, and after your treatment.
4. Patches- Anti-aging patches work by targeting the cause of wrinkles. You apply the patch directly on your wrinkles and leave on overnight. As you sleep, the patch is helping to plump and smooth by increasing collagen production and repair.
Known as “the original anti-aging patch” Frownies is backed by 130 years of tested results and they make patches for all areas of your face.
To apply you will need to let your moisturizer absorb completely then massage your lines for about 10 seconds to stimulate circulation. You then moisten the adhesive side with Frownies Rose Water Hydrating Spray and let it absorb for about 30 seconds.
You will then use your fingers, on one hand, to smooth your skin while pressing the patch onto your skin with your other hand. Leave no creasing under the patch. Hold in place until the patch sticks. If needed, you can apply another patch until the lines are covered and the muscle is isolated.
In the morning, you wake up with smoother, younger-looking skin!
Supplements Can Help, Too
As you get older, everything slows down. The production of collagen and elastin, cell renewal, metabolism, and the production of natural oils are just a few things that can affect your skin. Thankfully, there are supplements you can take to help counteract any effects of things slowing down.
Consult with your regular doctor before starting a new supplement.
Collagen- When it comes to taking a collagen supplement, collagen peptides are better absorbed by your body. The collagen supplement I take comes from Purefinity and contains Biotin and hyaluronic acid along with collagen peptides. Since I have been taking this supplement, I have noticed a significant improvement in my skin, hair, nails, and comfort in my joints.
Spermidine- Promotes cellular health and maintenance processes. Promotes longevity by triggering autophagy. Autophagy is cleaning out, repairing, and removing any dysfunctional parts of the cell. Autophagy recycles and removes accumulated cellular debris so the cells can operate at peak efficiency. Give spermidineLife a try!
Glucosamine- Stimulates hyaluronic acid synthesis, which improves skin hydration and decreases wrinkles. Also, it inhibits melanin production and has proven useful in treating dark spots. Of course, I am sure you already know of the benefits glucosamine has for your joints. Get your glucosamine here!
Omega-3- Helps build your skin barrier, regulate oil production, prevent breakouts, and improve hydration. Also, it helps to soften rough, dry skin and soothe irritation and dermatitis. Get your omega-3 here!
Vitamin C- Beneficial both topically and ingested it plays a role in collagen synthesis, helps protect skin from UV damage along with treating skin that has UV damage. This vitamin helps lighten dark spots, smooth wrinkles, and promote wound healing. Not to mention the boost it gives your immune system! Get your vitamin C here!
You don’t have live wrinkles. There are too many options out there for you. So, if you follow any of the suggestions above and take care of your skin from the inside and out, you will notice an improvement in your forehead, eleven, and any other lines you may have!
If you enjoyed this post, please let me know in the comments!
Have any suggestions or questions, let me know!